Monday, January 21, 2013

What's your setup?

I thought it would be cool to post what I use to play Starcraft 2, and to also show that you don't need a big fancy computer or a really expensive mechanical keyboard to play well because while those things certainly make the game a smoother experience, they aren't going to win you games. I keep it simple, and I'm trying to invest in products that I will get the most out of rather than constantly buying the latest and greatest in gaming products.

1.) Razer Deathadder 3500 DPI Mouse ($60) - I've had this mouse for about a year now and it is well worth the money! Before this I was trying to play with an Apple Magic Mouse *laughs to self* and after getting a mouse that is geared towards playing games the difference is obviously noticeable and enjoyable. There are gaming mice, especially from Razer but others as well, that cost well in excess of $100. Unless you've got money to spend, you simply don't need them because the DeathAdder has everything you need. Works with PC + Mac, but the driver support is definitely better for PC. You can set custom commands to the two side buttons on the mouse which I haven't found a use for, but I'm sure they could be useful for something.

2.) Sennheiser HD 555 ($180) - I've had these bad boys for the past 6 years now and they have quite a history which I'll sum up really quickly. They came with me to MLG Meadowlands in 2007, the cord got chewed up in a lawnmower (even longer story), and now I use them exclusively for my computer. I'm not an audio expert, so characterizing the sound quality is hard to describe, but they are simply nothing short of amazing. Crisp clear sound quality coupled with outstanding comfort means that you can wear these things for hours and never want to take them off! I think the lifespan of my Senns speaks to how well these things are made. Even though I bought these for a different gaming related purpose, they work well for everything and I highly suggest checking these out if you are tired of your headphones breaking. They are well worth the investment.

3.) 13" Mac 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM ($1,200) - I mean, I bought this for college, so running Starcraft 2 was an unforseen purpose until last year. My main concern is that they are going to drop support for my operating system :( Blizzard announced that Heart of the Swarm will require Snow Leopard (10.6), which is fine because I'm running 10.8.2, but my computer won't be able to support the next Apple OS (10.9) if there is a big enough shift in new requirements because my laptop simply does not have the technology to handle it. So for me it is now a waiting game as far as what comes first. Will Blizzard make its minimum requirements 10.9 first, or will Apple set a death sentence for the hardware that I have? Regardless, you can run SC2 great on a Mac laptop.

4.) Team Liquid Mousepad ($20) - I don't actually own this, but I think it would be cool to have! I see mouse pads as having the least amount of impact on your game, and are more just for looks. Whether I use one with a lovely sunset or switch to one with a cool horse prooooobably isn't going to affect my skills. This is on my wish list :)


What do you use in your setup?

Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment