Friday, November 2, 2012

October 2012 LSAT - How did you do?

So I know that I make this all about Starcraft 2, but I also have a life outside of this game (hence why barely ever have time to post).
Warning: This isn't one of those confidence boosting stories, it's probably closer to the opposite.

So back on October 6th I took the LSAT, or Law School Admission Test, after studying for the past 3 months. I didn't use fancy Kaplan test prep courses that cost $2,500, or hire a private tutor to teach me the ins and outs of the test. I bought 2 practice books that covered the whole test, as well as a little prep book that focused solely on logic games, and I tried to teach myself.

I struggled with most of the sections while I practiced. It made me so excited to be getting 13-15 right on each section. One of the prep books came with a free full LSAT online. I took this before I studied anything, and ended up scoring a 142. The test is scored on a scale of 120-180, so this was not a good score at all.

I watched videos online explaining how to master each of the sections, read the review books, and did practice sets daily. I still wasn't getting anywhere, and it was frustrating because I feel like I'm grasping the concepts but the results aren't showing it. From August-October I suspended my social life to study with every free minute I had. Around the end of September I signed up for a free "mock" LSAT that the Princeton review was offering at one of their offices. I took the test, and after a week found out that I had scored a 144.

Being a week out from the real thing, I knew that I wasn't progressing fast enough and was seriously questioning how well I could do. My goal was to get at least a 150 on the October test because this scores usually lies right around the average score for most students, and would give me a decent shot (combined with letters of recommendation, GPA, and resume) at getting into at least a couple law schools. I knew that I couldn't compete with the super-distinguished HSY-striving students who had been studying for the last half a year through prep classes, but also just having the natural talent to do well at this of stuff. It was unrealistic to think I could score anywhere near the 170 + range.

October 6th came around, I felt prepared and positive for the most part. I had the logic games and their different boards racing through my head, and also what my technique would be for answering the logical reasoning sections (I now know this strategy needs some tuning). I stayed calm during the test for the most part and I completed each section right on time, feeling confident about my performance with each passing section.

The scores were rumored to come out on October 29th, but Hurricane Sandy ended up shutting down the LSAC, so they were not able to release the scores, but they said that they planned on having them released by Thursday, November 1st. It was the longest week of my life, as well as the most anxious-excited I've even been about getting a test back. Yesterday, around 6:30 pm, I sat glued to my computer while furiously refreshing my email, eagerly waiting for what could be a score that would further my dreams of becoming a lawyer. I wanted this so bad.

The email came in, and it read "Your October 2012 LSAT score is 145.  The percentile rank is 27." The wave of emotions that came over me were a mix of disappointment in myself, and just sadness that I hadn't achieved what I set out to do. Based on my feelings from taking the test, I just expected to do so much better than that. I actually thought I might see a 150, that's how confident I was that I had improved. In the end, I had manged to bring my score up 1 little point.

Luckily for me, the December LSAT is coming up and I'm already registered. I have one month to figure out how to, not conquer, but be more proficient on this test. I want that 150 at least, but I know that I can push myself for so much better. I have one month to drill as hard as I can. One month, to try to push my prep test scores higher and higher.

My next couple posts might be reflective on how well/bad I'm doing in practice, along with how I'm scoring in each section.

How did everyone else's scores go? Hopefully, and probably, better than mine -_-
I'll be focusing particularly on logical reasoning, so if any of you have good techniques for tackling these types of questions feel free to post a response. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment